Jay’s sister Kala was in town tonight, so we had the two of them over for dinner tonight. Kala is a vegetarian, so I made the quinoa pilaf that I made recently – it’s a hearty vegetarian main. We had delicata squash and butternut squash from the CSA this week, so I made a huge batch of sauteed delicata and used the butternut in a salad. The recipe for the delicata really isn’t a recipe – just cut up the squash into rings and saute it in olive oil with some salt and pepper and then toss it with parsley. Definitely my favorite way to prepare it.
The cake was different, for a flourless chocolate cake. The eggs are separated and the whites are whipped up and folded into the batter, so the cake is kind of mousse-like.
- Chive and Pine Nut Dip with Sourdough Toasts (Gourmet, June 2005)
- Grilled Halibut with Coriander-Pepita Butter (Bon Appetit, June 2009)
- Quinoa Pilaf with Caramelized Onions & Toasted Pecans (A Year in a Vegetarian Kitchen, p. 272)
- Roasted Butternut Squash & Pear Salad with Spiced-Pecan Vinaigrette (Fine Cooking #81, November 2006, p. 58)
- Delicata Squash Rings (Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone, p. 440)
- Flourless Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Ganache Glaze (Baked: New Frontiers in Baking, p. 50)