My second batch of lean pizza dough from Artisan Pizza and Flatbread in Five Minutes a Day was just as simple as the first, which lasted two weeks. It’s been great to have on hand for a quick lunch or dinner.
I tend to just want mine with tomato sauce and mozzarella (and basil if we have it). Larry will dig through the refrigerator for ingredients and put together a pizza that I wouldn’t have thought of but is always good – his last one had roasted broccoli, bacon and slow-roasted tomatoes.
The book isn’t one-note, though – there are a lot of recipes and other doughs in there, too. I’m looking forward to working with the enriched dough at some point. I’m sure some of the dough in the refrigerator will become pizza at some point, but for now I decided to try a flatbread.
It’s pretty simple – a chunk of dough is rolled out, same as for pizza. But then it’s topped with sesame oil, salt and scallions (I was tempted to put it right into the oven at this point – kind of like an Asian focaccia). It’s rolled into a rope, coiled around itself and left to rise for a short time – just 20 minutes.
Once the dough has risen a bit, it’s rolled out again, then cooked stove-top in a covered cast-iron pan. The result is a chewy, salty, flavorful bread that tastes nothing like pizza. We ate it with a bit of Asian chili paste, and we loved it.
There were a lot of great comments from people hoping to win a copy of the book on my first post about pizza. I loved reading about all of the types of pizza people like to eat.
Guess what? I’ve got one more signed copy of Artisan Pizza and Flatbread in Five Minutes a Day to give away!
To enter the contest for the giveaway, just post a comment about flatbread here – have you ever made it? What are your favorite flavorings or ingredients? A winner will be chosen at random on Tuesday, April 10, 2012. Here are contest rules:
- Only U.S. residents can enter, and I will only ship to a U.S. address. You must supply a valid e-mail address so that I can notify you if you are a winner (winners cannot be notified by U.S. mail).
- You must be 18 or over to enter.
- You must type your commentÂ€Â entry under the post announcing the contest (this one). Comments will be open until 11:59 PM PST on Monday, April 9, 2012.
- Only one entry in any single contest is allowed. If you post a comment more than once, you will be disqualified. But you can enter in any or all of my contests over time.
- Winner will be chosen randomly using Random.org.
- Prize is one brand new copy of Artisan Pizza and Flatbread in Five Minutes a Day.
- If selected, you will be notified by e-mail and you must respond by April 16, 2012 with a U.S. mailing address so I can ship your prize.
UPDATE April 10, 2012: Congratulations to Sandy (random.org results are here), the winner of a signed copy of Artisan Pizza and Flatbread in Five Minutes a Day! Thanks to everyone for entering, I loved reading your ideas about flatbread.
- Bing (Chinese Scallion Flatbread Done on the Stovetop) (Artisan Pizza and Flatbread in Five Minutes a Day, p. 244)